In a bizarre move, the Philadelphia Eagles released Pro Bowl wide receiver DeSean Jackson on Friday.
If he was in a gang, the NFL and the Eagles would have known that after all of the pre-draft background checks back in 2008. His release likely had more to do with his $12.5 million salary cap number and the Eagles decided to re-sign Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper.
Don’t expect Jackson to stay unemployed long.
Here are five reasons why the Falcons should sign Jackson.
- AGE: He’s 27 and his future is ahead of him.
- INSURANCE: He provides another weapon and insurance against Julio Jones’ foot and Roddy White’s age. There’s no guarantee that Jones will return to the level of play he was ascending to before his injury. White is 32 and turns 33 in November. He’s not going to play forever.
- WEAPON: He’s had three 1,000-yard seasons. Last season he amassed 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns and went to the Pro Bowl.
- RETURNER: He can also return punts.
- ENEMY: The Falcons wouldn’t have to face him if he’s on their team. Back in 2010, he almost single-handedly scorched the Falcons. He scored on a 31-yard run on an end around and a 34-yard reception, before Dunta Robinson leveled him with a helmet-to-helmet hit. The hit knocked both players out of the game.
MEET THE FREE AGENT SIGNEES
2014 NFL DRAFT CENTRAL
–Blog & VIDEO: Clemson QB Tajh Boyd has stellar Pro Day showing