At the NFL combine, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney brushed off the notion that he was a slacker because he didn’t work out.
He kept repeating that he’d be ready for his Pro Day.
Well, April 2 is tomorrow and Michael Cunningham will travel over to Columbia, S.C. for Jadeveon’s Judgment Day.
He’s considered the top player in the draft, but the Houston Texans may pass on him. It is believed that the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second pick, will snap up Clowney immediately.
Under this scenario, the Falcons must trade up to No. 2 to get Clowney. But the Falcons have too many holes to fill – tackle, center, pass rusher, tight end and free safety — and likely can’t afford to mortgage the future to get Clowney. Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff brushed off Clowney’s trade request.
Here are five things to know about Jadcveon’s Judgment Day.
1. MEDIA: More than 100 credentialed media will be on hand at Williams-Brice Stadium.
2. REPPING ROCK HILL: Clowney, a 6-foot-6, 266-pound defensive end from Rock Hill who was named a first-team All-American in his final two seasons at South Carolina.
3. SACKER OR SLACKER: Clowney had 13 sacks as a sophomore and three sacks as a junior, when he appeared to take some plays off.
4. DRAFT SPOT: ESPN’s Mel Kiper projects Clowney will be picked No. 1 overall by Houston or No. 3 overall by Jacksonville.
5. ATHLETIC FREAK: Clowney ran the 40-yard dash in a 4.53 seconds at the combine, the fastest by a defensive lineman at this year’s NFL combine. He broad jumped 124 inches, the best among defensive linemen, and had a vertical jump of 37.5 inches, the second-best among defensive linemen.
MEET THE FREE AGENT SIGNEES
2014 NFL DRAFT CENTRAL
–Blog & VIDEO: Clemson QB Tajh Boyd has stellar Pro Day showing