FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons wide receiver Roddy, who had missed most of the OTA sessions because of the shooting death of his brother, was back at work on Tuesday.
He chatted briefly with head coach Mike Smith before heading to the practice field. Several players came over to welcome him back.
“It’s was nice to see Roddy back out,” Smith said. “He’s been through a lot through the last three or four weeks. He and has family. It was good for him to be with his football family today. He looked great.”
White appeared to be his jovial self throughout the workout, but is not scheduled to speak to the media until next Tuesday during minicamp.
Check back later for a story on wide receiver Julio Jones, who’s battling back from right foot surgery, and video of quarterback Matt Ryan and others.
Here are 7 quick observations from the last OTA session that’s open to the media:
1. Jones, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, Safety Zeke Motta and defensive tackle Corey Peters worked out with the trainers off to the side.
2. During the two-minute drill with the first-team offense, running back Steven Jackson didn’t appear happy as Davonte Freeman took the snaps. He stood behind the crowd with his helmet off.
3. Quarterback Sean Renfree took the second-team snaps during the two-minute drill ahead of Dominique Davis.
4. Robert McClain, who was playing behind Josh Wilson at nickel back, made an interception of Renfree to get the second-team defense off the field during the two-minute drill.
5. In one-on-one passing drills, Davis completed a nice bomb to wide receiver Dominique Croom, who had gotten behind cornerback Jordan Mabin.
6. Right guard Mike Johnson, who was playing behind Jon Asamoah, looked good as he pulled outside to his right and make a seal block on a sweep.
7. Undrafted rookie defensive tackle Donte Rumph (Kentucky) caught the ire of defensive line coach Bryan Cox after he got pushed back about 6 yards off the ball. Cox rudely advised the young lad that the play was unacceptable.
PHASE THREE OF OFFSEASON PROGRAM
–Wednesday, June 11 – OTA No. 8.
–Thursday, June 12 – OTA No. 9.
–Friday, June 13 – OTA No. 10.
–Monday, June 16 – Physicals.
–Tuesday, June 17 — Day One: Mandatory minicamp (5 practices over three days)
–Wednesday, June 18 – Day Two: Mandatory minicamp.
–Thursday, June 19 – Day Three: Mandatory minicamp. (Offseason program ends for veterans).
TBA – Rookie Symposium
TBA – (Late July) – Report to Training camp.
DRAFT CLASS STORIES
THE ATLANTA FALCONS 2014 DRAFT CLASS