5 quick thoughts on the Falcons’ exhibition opener
Here’s are five quick thoughts on the Falcons’ exhibition opener against Miami:
1. The Falcons must find a way to get running back Antone Smith involved more in the offense. He had a 34-yard pass play and a 81-yard touchdown run erased by penalties. He can make plays. Big plays.
2. Roddy White is going to be Matt Ryan’s third down security blanket. Three of his four catches came on third down.
3. The defense is still a work in progress. It’s probably prudent to not be too alarmed at this point in the exhibition season.
4. Defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi could have a breakout year, but can he step forward and help with the pass rush?
5. Backup quarterback T.J. Yates was nearly intercepted twice, but it didn’t rattle him. He settled down and led the offense on a nice field goal drive to tie it up 10-10. He completed 7 of 16 passes for 127 yards. He also had two rushes for 8 yards.
TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
Date Practice Times (public availability)
Saturday, August 9 Practice 4:30 – 5:45 p.m. (open to the public)
Sunday, August 10 Players’ Day Off (No Media Availability)
Monday, August 11 Practice 3:30 – 5:50 p.m. (open to the public)
Tuesday, August 12 Practice 10:00 a.m. – 12:35 p.m. (open to the public)
Wednesday, August 13 Combined Practice w/ Houston Texans (Houston, TX)
Thursday, August 14 Combined Practice w/ Houston Texans (Houston, TX)
Friday, August 15 Pregame Walkthrough (No Media Availability)
Saturday, August 16 Falcons at Houston Texans
8:00 p.m. ET – CW69
Sunday, August 17 Players’ Day Off (No Media Availability)
Monday, August 18 Practice 10:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. (closed to the public)