Posted: 10:18 pm Friday, August 8th, 2014

5 quick thoughts on the Falcons’ exhibition opener

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

IMG_2401.JPG

Falcons running back Antone Smith gets past Miami Dolphins linebacker Koa Misi for yardage during the first quarter of their NFL exhibition game on Friday, August 8, 2014, in Atlanta. (Curtis Compton/CCompton@ajc.com)

Here’s are five quick thoughts on the Falcons’ exhibition opener against Miami:

1. The Falcons must find a way to get running back Antone Smith involved more in the offense. He had a 34-yard pass play and a 81-yard touchdown run erased by penalties. He can make plays. Big plays.

2. Roddy White is going to be Matt Ryan’s third down security blanket. Three of his four catches came on third down.

3. The defense is still a work in progress. It’s probably prudent to not be too alarmed at this point in the exhibition season.

4. Defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi could have a breakout year, but can he step forward and help with the pass rush?

5. Backup quarterback T.J. Yates was nearly intercepted twice, but it didn’t rattle him. He settled down and led the offense on a nice field goal drive to tie it up 10-10. He completed 7 of 16 passes for 127 yards. He also had two rushes for 8 yards.

TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE

Date                                                      Practice Times (public availability)

Saturday, August 9                          Practice 4:30 – 5:45 p.m. (open to the public)

Sunday, August 10                           Players’ Day Off (No Media Availability)

Monday, August 11                         Practice 3:30 – 5:50 p.m. (open to the public)

Tuesday, August 12                         Practice 10:00 a.m. – 12:35 p.m. (open to the public)

Wednesday, August 13                 Combined Practice w/ Houston Texans (Houston, TX)

Thursday, August 14                       Combined Practice w/ Houston Texans (Houston, TX)

Friday, August 15                             Pregame Walkthrough (No Media Availability)

Saturday, August 16                        Falcons at Houston Texans

NRG Stadium

8:00 p.m. ET – CW69

Sunday, August 17                           Players’ Day Off (No Media Availability)

Monday, August 18                         Practice 10:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. (closed to the public)

Break Camp

DirtyBird504
DirtyBird504

OMG...  you guys have been going at it...  LOL

BSNBC
BSNBC

Doesn't look good for winning!

JONBONBON
JONBONBON

This board is quite fiery! :)

AnsweredTHIS
AnsweredTHIS

1 day ago

@zuzu331

No, you said: "piss people off." I keep telling "context" is a hell of a concept. I can care less about people being "pissed off" because it is their issue. Big Crimson used to drop that bomb on me, he knows better now. For the most part, AnswerThis did too, he's knows better now

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This was posted way down and I had to be sure to AnswerTHIS with a post. (with a little more added).

Whoaaaa BIG guy don't bring me in your tough guy contest! I just know that it is pointless to argue with someone like you.  Like you always say about the New Orleans and Atlanta tough guy contest...don't bring me in your mess. I prefer to stay out of it.  I want to talk football about the team I like and I know you don't have a like for them so I make sure to not really say much to you about the Falcons on here. Serves no purpose to talk with you about the team I like and it is obvious you don't like them. You have football knowledge and make good points but everyone else on these blogs have good knowledge and make good points also. A lot of these points that Range and zuzu are making are true...let’s just talk football without questioning someone’s intelligence or having to down their comment because they are a fan. Somehow I hope that we all can be grown men and talk football.  The bashing is pointless. You don't like the Falcons...bash them elsewhere because most people on these blogs are fans ( STB4 and loser Joe Mess the exception).  I find time to critique my team, but I stay hard and true as being a HOMER. Everyone knows that. But as for me "knowing better" let’s move on and not hand slap and fight (you know how the kids would do it on the playground...telling someone " you better hold me back" knowing no one wanted to fight...hahahahahaa) let’s talk football and be grown men!  That is not hard

JackClemens
JackClemens

What is the deal with Antone, DLed? Does he fumble all day in practice? Drop every pass that's thrown his way? Every time he gets on the field he seems to do something spectacular ... yet he's been around for years doing nothing but special teams. I don't really get it.

CobbCountyBraves
CobbCountyBraves

@JSS,

You really have insecurity and inadequacy issues...and reading between the lines Range Rover has you pegged, dude.

Why don't you just go away...no one likes or respect you here...no one but Saint Trolls.

RangeRover
RangeRover

@AnsweredTHIS

How did you like that "he knows better?"  Like you're afraid of him now, huh?  LOL!

Make no mistake about it, despite his feeble argument that this is a sports blog, not a fan blog, he's on here for one primary purpose, to make miserable anyone's life that is a Falcon fan.  If I cared to, I could pull hundreds of his past comments to prove this point.

He has zero credibility; he know's it, and he knows that I know it, and this drives him nuts!

Dasdguy
Dasdguy

@JackClemens

some analysts believe his pass blocking needs work. I say between Rodgers,Smith, Freeman And an effective O line; The Birds will move the sticks.

@CobbCountyBraves

Oh, some of my friends wanted me to relay a message to you and that other one!

You got love Internet sports blogs, I was accused of "hating absolutely all White people!" I wonder if <Name removed for their online safety> wants in on this?

"i want in on this ! jss may come across as a hater of ( white people ) but believe me when i tell you he is a hater of all people ! lol. this is to funny . jss is more white than most white people. dont believe me, ask him to dance ! lol" -- James

"I agree with James, you don't discriminate you hate on everybody!" -- J.R.A.

You crack me up, you actually think I'd care if I'm loved or liked by anyone other than my family, close friends, or "trusted" former co-workers before I left to care for my Mother! Adm. Ernest King was the person I admired the most. Screw being liked!

"There was a tongue-in-cheek remark about (Adm.) King, made by one of his daughters, repeated by Naval personnel at the time that "he is the most even-tempered person in the United States Navy. He is always in a rage." (Franklin) Roosevelt once described King as a man who "shaves every morning with a blow torch." Ha ha, you think I'm worried about your hurt feelings regarding that football team or your lack of an ability to not be offended by any reference not so kind! Sadly for you, three women have loved me without conditions, so much for your attempts at caricaturing me as some sad pathetic troll. My Momma loves me, and unlike the BB King song, "she ain't jiving me too!" And poor little me, for having actual real friends and not pandering to get a following on a AJC blog! Drop the mic!

RangeRover
RangeRover

@CobbCountyBraves

@CobbCountyBraves

Agreed.  Sad that he has spiraled down to a level of manufacturing stories to make people accept and feel sorry for him; those very same people that simply come here to talk Falcon football that he finds pleasure in berating.  A freshman psychology student can tell this man hates life, hates whites and very likely hates himself so he seeks attention on a Falcon Blog.  Sad.

Oh, and I wonder if he's shared with his imaginary freckled-face friend how many time he has signed off here by stating "all you white people can kiss my BIG BLACK A.SS?"  Deny this too, JSS?

@RangeRover

You and your fantasies. (It's) Always this drives someone "nuts" or that you can do that, balls to the wall, then do it!

@AnsweredTHIS

And that is exactly the point, I know you're a "homer" and it bothers me in no way. WE haven't had an issue since the 2013 postseason, right or wrong? You came off that personal mess that was all over your posts directed at me. Be a homer, but never say something that's not a reality based thing. You've been way better at that. You still go off on SlyDawg and some others way too much considering that you finally acknowledged what was the Falcons shortcomings after the playoffs.

I've always said, don't bring a knife to nuclear weapons exchange. This is not directed at you, but If you're gonna piss on my leg, don't expect me to stand there and take it! It's on (and I don't mean that silly public or private fight club silliness), I'm gonna be an ADULT and send your behind to jail and that's not threat, it's a PROMISE! That's why I said, "you know better!" And we've had plenty of civil exchanges since the playoffs and prior to the last two drafts. It can be 99.9% Falcons fans and 0.01 non Falcons supporters, but sorry it is still a "Pro football beat writer who 'covers the Atlanta Falcons' blog!" The same goes for Bob McGinn in Milwaukee, Jeff Howe or Karen Gureigan in Boston at The Globe, or every other "reporter" and writer assigned to an NFL beat.

Hey, I hate that people like Ray and all of the suppose  "fans" ruined 'The Bird Cage' for y'all and its traffic was so anemic with the same core of commenters that the AJC sent it packing. I only once step in that room, and that was to compliment Dawson on  addressing a non-Falcons related matter with sensitivity. That was their room, I had no problem with it. I believe every newspaper should have a "fan blog" for the cheerleaders and the loyalists to get together and pat each other on the back. But, as far the columnists and the beat writers who supposed to be reporting the facts, and their observations based on that access, heck no, it's not a "fan blog." Same goes for the over lauded 'Falcoholic.' That fantasy fan stuff, don't feel bad when things and you get all of your info from that type of place which picks and chooses things which are largely favorable to the Falcons. It will serve you in just that manner.

Look at it this way, no matter how much I prefer 'The New Republic,' but I'll be damn if I don't read 'The Wall Street Journal'  or the 'Weekly Standard.' Why, you have to see both sides and then know why the other side is flawed!

The flaws are still there football wise, 8-8, and they need other teams to regress, simple as that. Do yourself a big favor and watch that Arizona-Texans game. You better hope somebody else gets suspended between now and then (Week 12) or that the Seahawks finally figure them out, that has a recipe for disaster written all over it!

CobbCountyBraves
CobbCountyBraves

@JSSN

How pathetic you are.  You actually needs to post "friend" comments to feal good about yourself?  You must  suffer from grave emotional, anatomical and intellectual shortcomings?

Seriously, dude, you're making a complete fool of yourself for all to see and it ain't pretty.

And don't run that mercenary tough guy by me.  I once carried a gun for a living that employed real bullets.  My job was to find fugitives no one else could, not pretend to be a tough guy on a ship with a bunch of naval personnel, which by the way it is well know are the dumbest lot in the military.  Too stupid to lead...join the navy!

Don't mess around with me dude.  You've apparently crossed the line with others like Range Rover.  Don't want to cross it with me, Sailor!  You're easy to find.

zuzu331

@JSSN Why is it sad that you conned THREE women into loving you without conditions? Who cares that you have friends? Good for you. People are just here to talk football without being 'flamed' by you and your little friends about every thing they say. You can kiss my a** with your Too Much Information(!) attempts to garner sympathy. You make as many over the line comments to people as you do,then turn right around and make pathetic little mewling sobstories to make people feel sowwy for you,youre whats called a PSYCHOPATH.

zuzu331

@JSSN Now youre name dropping an Admiral,whoop dee doo! I was raised by an Army Colonel,so what? Look,no one cares about ANY of that. Stop being an obnoxious know it all D*ck. If you dont want to be called a Troll,then stop Trolling. If youre so damn smart,why is that so difficult for you to 'get'?

zuzu331

@JSSN @RangeRover @AnsweredTHIS JSSN-Heres today's Falcoholic:http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/8/11/5989743/atlanta-falcons-training-camp-live-blog-august-11-edition

You spin it as fluff and fantasy reporting. Whatever. As this Falcoholic excerpt here shows,its the Strict MODERATION and enforcement of RULES of behavior on Falcoholic where your true Issue lies with the site:

"As the site has grown, it's become increasingly clear to me and our team of editors that we could use a dedicated moderator to handle disputes, ensure site rules are being enforced and most importantly, be more detached from the attachments we've built up over the years with all you lovable scamps."

They dont allow yahoos like yourself to run wild on there and thats the REALITY,not the FANTASY. Ha!

zuzu331

@JSSN @RangeRover @AnsweredTHIS JSSN-To consider yourself nuclear weapons exchange is flattering yourself,SoCal Mall Kid. I give you Wal Mart Super Soaker at best,and not even one of the big ones...Now shake your damn head and fix your face,SoCal.

zuzu331

@JSSN @RangeRover @AnsweredTHIS JSSN-Its a free country and Answered This,RR,myself can say exactly what we WANT to, and owe you neither apology or explanation. You're not in charge of anything and youre not gonna send anybody's 'behind to jail'. Your ridiculous bragging about what magazines you read are a great example of your reality show mentality (because Blackberries are OLD,Yeah?) . You are 'playing to your audience' and remind me of a kid trying to write one of the 'mastermind' characters on a dumb crime tv show,and doing an awful job of it. Your act is old and you have one tape you play,anti Falcons on a Falcons blog. You go on and on about everyone's fantasies at the same time your posting straight from the script off a show,one that really needs a damn REWRITE! Is your world view that limited? Do you need attention that bad?

AnsweredTHIS
AnsweredTHIS

@JSSN @RangeRover @AnsweredTHIS

All I am saying is that we talking football man...we should all have respect for each other in a way that goes over well.  We all know that it is one happy team at the end of the year. We all grown men ( still have not figured out what the heck Joe Tess is...hahaha ok ok that is a shot; but a well deserved one) so lets have some good back and forth with everyone, respect opinions( cause we all know what opinions are like) and lets just try to be civil.

Heck like I keep saying we did not see the Falcons doing this well in the Mike Smith era..did we?  Was last year just a bump in the road?  I for one am excited to find out!

Who on the team went to see the Wizard during the off season!  Rise UP!

@CobbCountyBraves

Was that before or after the orthopedic career? Come and stalk me, more than happy to introduce you to the local, state, and federal constabulary. All of you gun carriers are so mean!

@zuzu331

And again, go to Dollar Tree and buy a dictionary.

@zuzu331

You first, I like taking my time when a harpy is around.

CobbCountyBraves
CobbCountyBraves

@JSSN

"You do realize thet"

"a different price point that 'Dollar Tree?'"

This in just one post.  Is this what you've resulted to, child, looking for misspellings for self acceptance?  LOL!

Calling you stupid and is an insult to stupid people; calling you a child is an insult to good & intelligent children.

zuzu331

@JSSN @CobbCountyBraves Oh,now with the Grammar Nit Picking...learn some NEW troll tricks Duuuuude! Yours are so OLD your Mama got em at the Dollar Store! Ooooh

RangeRover
RangeRover

@JSSN @CobbCountyBraves

My money is on Cobb.  JSS strikes me as the short, insecure type, having to manufacture stories about himself to try to convince anyone here that he is liked outside of this blog, while seeking desperate measures hoping someone, anyone, will like him on here as well.  LOL!

You've made a complete fool of yourself, sparky...how's my spelling?  LMAO!!!

zuzu331

@JSSN Ohh! Time for the Cop Threats! Thats separate from the vieled threats YOU make,Yeah? Do you have a little 'fill in the blank'  computer program you use to Troll? Like Ad Libs?

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Your pointless comebacks arent funny,they arent really 'zinging' me.I dont know what they are supposed to be demonstrating other than you have the maturity level of a child,something several other people have noticed and commented on recently.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 I know why you hate Falcoholic so much...You couldnt hang there,you can argue and debate all you like but step out of line or bully and youre OUTTA THERE! Ha,Ha...Awww,does some wittle butthurt snookums have an issue with them TOO? I wonder why?

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 I dont know and have never known anyone in my life that talks like that. What would the Admiral think? OK,now Im a 'harpy'. Im just SO crushed...Now rip that snappy playground retort back,c'mon,Play to 'Your Audience'...Rolling...Background!...Action!!!

zuzu331

@JSSN @RangeRover @CobbCountyBraves Oh,back to Fred Sanford Barber Shop Talk,'Ya'll'. You just posted something about your big behind,apparently RR recalls some colorful posts you made back in the day. Keep yo online personalities straight in that Barber Shop,Sucka! More 'conspiracies and fantasies',says the guy who makes his living making crappy movies.Now be sure to twist it and turn it and Spin Away you ol' Fish Eyed Fool...

@RangeRover

How was it again when you had to beg Schultz for forgiveness?

@zuzu331

Still not a threat. it's a promise. You folks let your keyboards write checks the law are more than happy to cash for you. See if you're connection trumps mine when you are standing before a magistrate.

@zuzu331

You don't say, is that world shattering that I talk to children like they are children?

@zuzu331

I don't hate 'The Falcoholic' in the least. It is a "fan blog!" It is where a "fan" should hang out! That is what it is for! You're the person who does not understand that basic difference! They do no original objective reporting. Those opinion pieces are fluff. Ledbetter is a beat writer, it is not his job to pander to Flowery Branch. He owes them only professional courtesy. I've always told people they exist and that they might be better served in seeking "group think" on those type of sites. Silly person, never read a thing I've posted if you didn't get that point.

@zuzu331

Nah, it is time to put you to bed and ask somebody to change your nappy! You're treading around on topics beyond your grasp or ability to demonstrate good taste in remarking on. It's what your boy in trouble in the first place. He likes mocking the dead by way. Makes him feel all big and strong.

@zuzu331

Send the check made out to the payment of Sony Pictures

RangeRover
RangeRover

@JSSN

Beg?  Is your lying pathologic?  I think so!

I simply promised him I'd stop picking on you and out of sympathy we concurred.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331Now,your 'connection'! God,you sound like a Child!  For what,you Fool? Im tired of your threats. They are as empty as you are. 'Stand before a Magistrate'. When youve come right out with DEATH THREATS on me on here. Shut Up.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Why did you ,in this very thread,berate Falcoholic If you dont hate Falcoholic in the least? That doesnt seem to make sense ,does it? You lie constantly,you just hate being called out on your lies. Really gets your goat,huh?

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Yeah and you claim to be a US Vet and mock dead US personnel (crispy,Yeah?) so piss off,Squidface. For you to comment on 'good taste' in posts is the height of idiocy.

@zuzu331

1AM EST and you're swinging crap and expecting to hit something. Yet, the central issue of a team that has holes must be eating a hole in your lower intestine. Let it out, it is alright to cry.

@zuzu331

You need to stop acting like you're "familiar' with anything, that is with comma use.

@zuzu331

"veiled," "vieled" go to bed before you say something silly.

@zuzu331

Love a screen shot, especially when it points out the great mighty reference to SOA and your prowess having a carried a "gun" and what you were going to do to me. No law in GA denies me the right to protect my person, body, or domicile (and property) from threat of violence. Paid security, take your chance.

@zuzu331

Still isn't gonna help your cause, you overlook all of those traits being served on your own plate!

@zuzu331

Hey, being a paid mercenary comes with risk. Want safety for doing dirty work like security, go into security for Wall Street bankers, pays about the same.

Next time get your story in line about your SOA fear tactics before you play that card.

zuzu331

@JSSN What?You tired?Im not tired.I wasnt in the Squidface Navy.

zuzu331

@JSSN Yeah you avoided the little fact of that 3AM calltime and yet you quit to take care of Mom. Get it straight!

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Make up your mind,Crazy Person. Im a terrible villain paid mercenary or its all just 'a fantasy'. Stick to something,If You can.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Oh God,Give me a Break. Stop with the little games you play.You cant outdebate me on ANY points so you revert to your little garbage threats and insults. You are a great example of whats called a 'Labile Personality',you are something different from minute to minute...

@zuzu331

Silly, evade what? You go and play those games in Polish prison.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Damn,stop recycling back to me what I just said to you. I just said,'Get your online personalities straight' and you say 'get my story in line'. Do you have such a lack of anything to really say? You are absurd.

@zuzu331

No, as I said, I'm talking "real football" with people not obsessed with allegiances to some local teams.

I'm just letting you entertain your fantasies for the good of society at a whole.

@zuzu331

No one will ever have a 3AM call time unless they are at one of the poles. If you're talking about yourself and you're of an internal clock, please don't drive. It's a multi-ton weapon.

@zuzu331

A villain (n) who drapes himself in fantasies.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 You evaded the fact that you berate the Falcoholic every chance you get and then say you have nothing agaainst the Falcoholic.Polish Prison? And your little friend says Im 'bizarre'...Ugh,Im just devastated...

@zuzu331

...and your little terror campaigns just don't get anywhere, and you keep searching for the button.

@zuzu331

You're not saying anything. You run the same 5 points out in every thread. You waste bandwidth with the same silliness. You can't deal with the fact that this is not a "fan blog." Plain, simple, to the point! FIN

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Wow,Im so jealous. Should I kick the dirt now as I walk off,dejected? Its like being back in grammar school again,reading the massively fu*ked up things you say.

@JSSN @zuzu331 Yeah?

JSSN May 9, 2014

Got to call it a night, I have 4AM call time. Enjoy (or lament) Day 2!

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Yet you resort to grammar and spelling nitpicking. See,that doesnt hold water because Ive never put myself out there as a 'Master Mind' or Law School Yada Yada like you do on here,to absurd effect. Oh Yeah,and I post at 3AM,AND i edit what I post! Wow,what devastating insults,staright from the 4th grade! At least youve stopped mimicking back everything I say,thats good. Good Job! You get a cookie!

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 I dont take direction from you or your 'Ilk'. Its a free country and you dont get to pretend you 'won' and 'scared me off again' like the esteemed Dirtyb8,who showed up just after I started telling people not to 'take your bait' said...

@zuzu331

Ha ha, your fantasies. It's a fan blog that does no "original reporting" and gets information from news media and paid Falcons PR. I'm gonna lose no sleep over this one either!

Time to get with people who actually talk football. You can keep entertaining that ghost running around in your vicinity.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Me:Do you have such a lack of anything to really say?

You: You're not saying anything

Whaaaaatever.

@zuzu331

The grammar school readers messed up your mind? Who knew Jane and her brother had that effect on the kids?

@zuzu331

Time to roll out another of the 5, since it didn't work this afternoon. Try it again huh?

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Stop recycling what I say. I say Ha Ha. You do that little So Cal Mall Kid acronym thing. So,shake your damn head,Seriously! and get something original to say. For ONCE.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Still mimicking my words and syntax,Yeah? What a host of unpleasant personality disorders you exhibit for all to see. What a nutjob. Family Dollar that,Scary Guy.

@zuzu331

Why waste logic on the illogical? Go and rest your little eyes and give the bandwidth a chance to carry actual pertinent information.

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 You said a few weeks ago you had a 3AM call time,and just this thread you say Your EX employees since you quit to take care of your Mom...talk about getting your stories straight! Ha!

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 Wow,Really? I earlier said Why waste time trying to reason with the unreasonable and you say 'why waste logic on the illogical'? Ive been talking baby talk and you say 'Rest my little eyes'? Stop recycling what I say. Are you a Troll Bot? Come up with something original,Duuuuude...You CANT!

zuzu331

@JSSN @zuzu331 I dont know any grown adult who would say something like that. Thats not even something a High School kid would say. That is right there with 'Blackberries are OLD',or busting someone out because they use single quotes and not double quotes. What grown man in their 50s would say things so deeply strange?

@zuzu331

No, you're always late. I said I had to get up at 3AM, my call time (contract work) was 5:30 for a safety meeting. You are always jagging in saying you know what I've said. Obviously you don't.

@zuzu331

Ask yourself, you mentioned the chain. You do realize thet 'Family Dollar' caters to a different price point that 'Dollar Tree?' Thought you might be spending some of that blood money upstream.

@JSSN @zuzu331 Really?

JSSN May 9, 2014

Got to call it a night, I have 4AM call time. Enjoy (or lament) Day 2!