Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones and running back Devonta Freeman played key roles in helping Team Irvin defeat Team Rice 49-27 in the 2016 NFL Pro Bowl on Sunday at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Fullback Pat DiMarco and cornerback Desmond Trufant, who were added as alternates, came on in reserve roles.
1. JONES LEADS QUICK START: On Team Irvin’s second play from scrimmage, Freeman had a rush for no gain.
Jones, working out of the slot, made a 14-yard touchdown catch on the first possession of the game by Team Irvin. Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson, who dating Atlanta singer Ciara, delivered a nice strike.
2. FREEMAN SCORES: After the Team Irvin intercepted Eli Manning, Freeman did some heavy lifting on their second drive before scoring on a 6-yard touchdown catch.
During the scoring drive, Freeman caught a pass for 11 yards and rushed three times for 11 yards.
3. JONES DAZZLES: Jones caught a two-point conversion to put Team Irvin up 14-7.
Jones finished with two catches for 26 yards and a touchdown. Freeman, who was a captain and helped to draft the team, rushed six times for 27 yards. He also caught two passes for 17 yards.
DiMarco had three rushes for 15 yards.
4. TRUFANT GETS NIGHT OFF: Like the quarterbacks did for most of last season, the Team Rice quarterbacks didn’t throw much at Trufant, who played left cornerback in the exhibition game.
Trufant had a tackle on Bengals running back Cedric Peerman in the fourth quarter.
5. FREEMAN AT CORNERBACK: Freeman received some action on defense at cornerback. He made a tackle to end the third quarter.
“We’re playing hard, but we’re having fun,” Michael Irvin told the ESPN announcers.
FALCONS END OF SEASON STORIES