FLOWERY BRANCH – This will be a busy week for the Falcons as they get ready for free agency (March 7-9) and attend the NFL scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis which runs Tuesday through Tuesday, Feb. 29.
1. Clarity on White: The Falcons may elect to tell us that Roddy White is staying or they can stick to their “he’s under contract” replies. It makes no sense to cut White, when you know that he’ll sign with division foe Tampa Bay or with Tennessee. Let him come to camp and compete for his spot. Quinn’s program is all about competition.
2. Quinn expected to speak: Falcons coach Dan Quinn is expected to speak later in the week at the NFL scouting combine. We’ll see if his list matches our list of positions that need to be shored up.
3. Dimitroff expected to speak: General manager Thomas Dimitroff is expected to speak later this week at the NFL scouting combine. We should get an update on the scouting department. There appears to be a vacancy after Mark Olson left to join the Detroit Lions.
4. Free agent rumors to start: With all of the teams and the agents in Indianapolis for the combine and NFLPA meetings, free agent rumors will start to fly. We’ve already heard that the Falcons are on “the roster of teams” for Bengals wide receiver Mohamed Sanu. The Falcons will have stiff competition from the Browns, who hired former Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson as their head coach. While playing second or third fiddle to A.J. Green, Sanu, who’s 6-2, 215 pounds, has averaged 38 catches over four seasons. The Bruce Irvin to the Falcons rumors will start. Also, Bleacher Report’s Russell Baxter wrote that the Falcons are the best fit for pass-rusher maven Dwight Freeney.
5. Team’s own free agents: We ranked the Falcons’ 12 prospective free agents. There are no major issues. Most will get to test the free agency market. The biggest issue for the team is what level to tender restricted free agents Paul Worrilow and Ryan Schraeder.
ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON STORIES