Falcons coach Dan Quinn was clearly pleased with the team’s early free agent signings.
“We are still in talks with a couple of guys, but it is for sure winding down into that role,” Quinn said. “Specifically, some of the players now that we are visiting with, if we have an update over the next couple of days, we’ll reach out to you. …We are definitely in the winding down process.”
Here are 5 things to know about the Falcons this week:
1. PHASE TWO: The Falcons have moved on to phase two of their free agency program. They missed out on linebackers Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman, but are still searching for bargains.
2. BOYKIN SITUATION: We’ll need to monitor cornerback Brandon Boykin, the former Georgia standout, who’s played in 64 games and made seven starts with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
3. CHRIS LONG UPDATE: Former Rams defensive end Chris Long has a good visit with the Falcons and is set to make his decision this week. He is reportedly set to visit and workout for the New England Patriots today.
4. MONEY COUNT: Falcons tackle Bryce Harris was signed to a one-year, $820,000 deal with a $60,000 bonus. Quarterback Matt Schaub has a base salary of $1.25 million. The Falcons are projected have between $10 million to $12 million under the salary cap, but all of the contracts have not been filed with the NFLPA yet.
5. OFFSEASON CONDITIONING: The offseason conditioning program starts on April 18. (The offseason media water fitness classes start back up on Wednesday. Somebody has registered for the Peachtree and needs to start getting ready!)
FREE AGENCY STORIES
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON STORIES