FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons will head down to the NFL owners meetings, which start today, in Boca Raton, Fla.
Here are 5 things to know about the Falcons this week:
1. SUPER BOWL IN JEOPARDY: The folks in the state legislature have put the Falcons bid to host the Super Bowl in jeopardy with a religious liberty/discrimination law. The NFL doesn’t do discrimination and has made it clear that there won’t be a Super Bowl in Atlanta if this measure stays on the books. “NFL policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard. Whether the laws and regulations of a state and local community are consistent with these policies would be one of many factors NFL owners may use to evaluate potential Super Bowl host sites,” said Brian McCarthy, NFL spokesman.
2. QUINN TO SPEAK: Falcons coach Dan Quinn will speak this week at the owner’s meeting. Here are some of the issues that will be discussed. Player safety is set to be the focus of this meeting.
3. PLAYERS ON FALCONS’ RADAR: The draft is set for April 28-30. The Falcons will start visiting with players and having private workouts. Here’s the list of players that have had contact with the Falcons, according to walterfootball.com.
- Danny Anthrop, WR, Purdue (East-West Shrine game)
- Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State (Combine)
- Alex Balducci, DT, Oregon (EW)
- Jake Brendel, C, UCLA (EW)
- Fahn Cooper, OT, Ole Miss (EW)
- Leonard Floyd, OLB/3-4OLB, Georgia (COM)
- Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame (COM — more than one meeting.)
- Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas State (EW)
- Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State (EW)
- Tyrone Holmes, DE, Montana (EW)
- Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple (Senior Bowl)
- Jordan Jenkins, OLB/3-4OLB, Georgia (COM)
- Deion Jones, OLB, LSU (Senior Bowl, Private workout. Has met with team at more than one event.)
- Shaq Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Clemson (COM, Private workout. Has met with team at more than one event.)
- Antonio Longino, ILB, Arizona State (EW)
- Lene Maiava, OT/G, Arizona (EW)
- Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (SR)
- Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook (EW)
- Joshua Perry, OLB, Ohio State (SR)
- Luke Rhodes, ILB, William & Mary (Pro Day or campus meeting/workout)
- Jake Rudock, QB, Michigan (EW)
- Steven Scheu, TE, Vanderbilt (EW)
- Hunter Sharp, WR, Utah State (EW)
- Terrance Smith, OLB/ILB, Florida State (EW)
- Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State (PRO)
- DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech (SR)
4. MONEY COUNT: The Falcons have $5,020,893 million left under the salary cap, according to the NFLPA salary cap report. That’s about enough left for the rookie class.
5. OFFSEASON CONDITIONING: The offseason conditioning program starts on April 18.
FREE AGENCY STORIES
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON STORIES