UPDATED: The Falcons agreed to terms with linebacker Courtney Upshaw on Friday
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, left, talks as Atlanta Falcons President and co-chairman of the NFL’s competition committee Rich McKay, right, looks on during a press conference at the NFL owners meeting in Boca Raton, Fla., Wednesday, March 23, 2016. (AP Photo/Luis M. Alvarez)
. He’s expected to add toughness to the defensive front seven and play the Leo/outside linebacker position.
FLOWERY BRANCH – It was a busy week for the Falcons with the owner’s meeting being held in Boca Raton, Fla.
After the meeting, coach Dan Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff fanned out over the country to conduct some private workouts.
Here are 5 things we learned this week:
1. NO FINE: The Falcons will not be fined for asking a sexual orientation question at the combine. Commissioner Roger Goodell
Falcons coach Dan Quinn discussing a variety of topics at the NFL owners meeting in Boca Raton, Fla. on Wednesday. (By D. Orlando Ledbetterfirstname.lastname@example.org)
and executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent were pleased with the team’s quick response and the social responsibility training the coaching staff received.
2. RELIGIOUS LIBERTY BILL: Commissioner Goodell also noted that the league and its owners are closely monitoring the situation in Georgia and if religious liberty becomes law. Atlanta’s Super Bowl bid could be in jeopardy.
3. N.C. STATE & FLORIDA VISITS: The Falcons went to N.C. State to look at a couple of prospects. Quinn still has connections in Gainesville after serving as Florida’s defensive coordinator. The Falcons are interested in Florida safety Keanu Neal.
4. OHIO STATE VISIT: The Falcons ended their visits in Columbus, Ohio were they are interested in Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee and tight end Nick Vannett.
5. WHEELER BACK IN THE FOLD: The Falcons also re-signed linebacker Philip Wheeler on Thursday. They also had visits from unrestricted free agent linebacker Courtney Upshaw and guard/center Ted Larsen.
FREE AGENCY STORIES
Falcons’ Dan Quinn loyal to Shanahan, staff, amid heat
Linebacker Jerrell Freeman won’t be joining Falcons
Falcons mulit-level free agency makeover underway
Weatherspoon hopes to revive career, where it started
Falcons, O’Brien Schofield at impasse
Falcons agree to five-year deal with center Alex Mack
Mohamed Sanu: ‘I’m not trying to fill anybody’s shoes’
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
Alabama defensive tackles (A’Shawn and Jarran) are NFL-ready
Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox gets into shoving match at NFL combine
Floyd, Jenkins are stellar NFL prospects
Firm helps NFL prospects prepare for newfound wealth — 7 financial pitfalls they’ll face
Ex-Georgia linebacker Jordan Jenkins has met with the Falcons
Clemson’s Shaq Lawson interviewed with the Falcons
Nkemdiche has uphill battle to improve NFL draft status
Nkemdiche would love to play for the Falcons
14 questions with Georgia Tech standout Adam Gotsis
Falcons checking out interior linemen at the combine
18 questions with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff
Quinn still evaluating the roster — Nothing new on Roddy White
7 players the Falcons are watching at the combine
13 questions with Falcons coach Dan Quinn
5 questions with Duke punter Will Monday (Flowery Branch High)
26 State prospects hope to make impact at NFL combine