FLOWERY BRANCH — Here are five quick takes from Tuesday’s practice.
1. Freeney ready for action. Falcons defensive end Dwight Freeney will play some defensive end in the team’s nickel package against Cleveland. Falcons coach Dan Quinn is expecting to get his snaps in over the first quarter.
2. Therezie scare. Falcons free safety Robenson Therezie fell awkwardly on his right side after defending a deep pass to tight end Jacob Tamme. He was replaced by Sharrod Neaseman for one play before returning to the 11-on-11 action.
3. Cyrus learns. Falcons running back Cyrus Gray, who was signed last Saturday, had the ball smacked away at the end of a run. The Falcons have been trying to strip the ball off of running backs all of training camp. With Gray being a late signee, he was clearly caught off guard.
4. Mayes waived. Nose tackle Chris Mayes, an undrafted rookie from Georgia, suffered a foot injury early in practice on Monday and was waived injured on Tuesday. On Monday, Mayes, of Griffin, was escorted from the field by the training staff. Mayes was listed as the fourth-string nose tackle on the team’s depth chart. He played seven snaps against Washington and was considered a longshot to make the team. Backup center Jake Reed (foot) was also not at practice.
5. Goodwin not at practice. Falcons cornerback C.J. Goodwin, who attempting to make the team after starting his career as a wide receiver, returned to practice with a unspecified strain. Goodwin played 28 snaps against Washington in the exhibition opener. He had three tackles and one pass defensed.
Check back on AJC.Com and MYAJC.com later for updates.
What’s the most significant thing to pay attention to on Thursday night? The AJC’s D. Orlando Ledbetter & Noah Coslov talk Falcons-Browns, Keanu Neal’s debut & Matt Ryan-Kyle Shanahan.
ATLANTA FALCONS DEPTH CHART
WR 11 Julio Jones, 16 Justin Hardy, 14 Eric Weems, 87 Devin Fuller, 18 Jordan Leslie,
6 Corey Washington
LT 70 Jake Matthews, 76 Tom Compton, 66 Laurence Gibson
LG 67 Andy Levitre, 71 Wes Schweitzer, 64 Collin Rahrig
C 51 Alex Mack, 63 Ben Garland, 69 Jake Reed
RG 65 Chris Chester, 68 Mike Person, 74o Michael Huey
RT 73 Ryan Schraeder, 72 Bryce Harris, 79 Shahbaz Ahmed
TE 83 Jacob Tamme, 81 Austin Hooper, 80 Levine Toilolo, 86 D.J. Tialavea, 82 Joshua Perkins,
49 Arthur Lynch
WR 12 Mohamed Sanu, 19 Aldrick Robinson, 15 Nick Williams, 85 J.D. McKissic, 7 David Glidden
QB 2 Matt Ryan, 8 Matt Schaub, 13 Sean Renfree, 4 Matt Sims
RB 24 Devonta Freeman, 26 Tevin Coleman, 28 Terron Ward, 35 Gus Johnson, 20 Brandon Wilds, 30 Cyrus Gray
FB 42 Patrick DiMarco, 39 Will Ratelle
DE 99 Adrian Clayborn, 50 Brooks Reed, 93 Dwight Freeney, 96 Nordly Capi
DT 94 Tyson Jackson, 95 Jonathan Babineaux, 98 Cory Johnson, 75 Brandon Williams
DT 97 Grady Jarrett, 91 Courtney Upshaw, 92 Joey Mbu, 74 Chris Mayes
DE 90 Derrick Shelby, 77 Ra’Shede Hageman, 54 Malliciah Goodman, 49 Efe Obada
LB 44 Vic Beasley Jr., 41 Philip Wheeler, 52 Tyler Starr, 48 Ivan McLennan
LB 55 Paul Worrilow, 45 Deion Jones, 53 LaRoy Reynolds, 46 Dominique Tovell
LB 56 Sean Weatherspoon, 59 De’Vondre Campbell
CB 23 Robert Alford, 32 Jalen Collins, 29 C.J. Goodwin, 39 Jordan Sefon, Ryan White
CB 21 Desmond Trufant, 25 Akeem King, 34 Brian Poole, 43 DeMarcus Van Dyke,
33 Devonte Johnson
S 37 Ricardo Allen, 27 Robenson Therezie, 20 Sharrod Neasman
S 22 Keanu Neal, 36 Kemal Ishmael, 40 Damian Parms
K 3 Matt Bryant, 1 Nick Rose
KO 5 Matt Bosher
P 5 Matt Bosher
KR 26 Tevin Coleman, 14 Eric Weems, 87 Devin Fuller, 85 J.D. McKissic
PR 14 Eric Weems, 87 Devin Fuller, 85 J.D. McKissic
LS 47 Josh Harris
H 5 Matt Bosher
TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
15 – Monday, public practice, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
16 – Tuesday, public practice: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
ICYMI — TRAINING CAMP STORIES
90-MAN ROSTER ANALYSIS — POSITION BY POSITION