- 9:45 am Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
FLOWERY BRANCH — The NFL is copycat league and the Falcons needs to steal a few pages out of the Eagles playbook and use Antone Smith and/or Devonta Freeman like the Eagles are using Darren Sproles.
The former New Orleans Saint was a terror in space last night against the Colts. He had 11 touches for 178 yards. He had four rushes for 26 yards and caught seven passes for 152 yards.
He powered the Eagles to a 30-27 comeback victory over the Indianapolis Colts.
Now, Sproles did get some lovely blocking on those screens.
If the Falcons can make those blocks, Antone Smith [More]
- 1:03 pm Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
HOUSTON — HBO has posted a preview of tonight’s episode on their Facebook page.
It show Falcons coach Mike Smith telling the team he’s tired of hearing that the Falcons aren’t tough and that they are a tough football team.
The Toughness Crusade continues. . . .
He lauded Joe Hawley for defending the honor of a teammate, which resulted in him getting expelled from the practice with the Tennessee Titans. He thought that was a good penalty and hey, who wants to argue with that.
Here’s how this “toughness” issue got out of control.
Former Saints Heath Evans was saying he thought the Falcons [More]
- 10:18 pm Friday, August 8th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
Here’s are five quick thoughts on the Falcons’ exhibition opener against Miami:
1. The Falcons must find a way to get running back Antone Smith involved more in the offense. He had a 34-yard pass play and a 81-yard touchdown run erased by penalties. He can make plays. Big plays.
2. Roddy White is going to be Matt Ryan’s third down security blanket. Three of his four catches came on third down.
3. The defense is still a work in progress. It’s probably prudent to not be too alarmed at this point in the exhibition season.
4. Defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi could have a breakout year, but [More]
- 6:00 am Thursday, July 24th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
FLOWERY BRANCH — The countdown rolls on!
The veterans report today. The rookies have been on site since Tuesday and the first practice is set for Friday.
The media fitness run is Saturday at noon. I’ve checked with president and CEO Rich McKay to see if the ambulances are ready. Also, we’ll need to make sure that at least two CPR-trained Falcons cheerleaders are on-site.
Check back this afternoon as we’ll post some blog items and a video or two on AJC.com since there is some media access from 1 p.m. [More]