- 1:29 pm Monday, February 24th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
When the Falcons return from the NFL scouting combine, they will turn their attention to free agency.
Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said there has been a lot of internal discussions about the team’s free agents, but none have been offered contract extensions.
The Falcons’ list of potential unrestricted free agents include defensive linemen Jonathan Babineaux, Peria Jerry and Corey Peters, offensive linemen Joe Hawley, Mike Johnson, Sean Locklear and Jeremy Trueblood, tight end Chase Coffman, cornerback Dominique Franks and linebacker Omar Gaither.
The Falcons also must replace tight end Tony Gonzalez.
- 12:49 pm Thursday, February 20th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
(UPDATE: FULL EDITED TRANSCRIPT BELOW — 8:25 P.M)
Falcons coach Mike Smith spoke to the media for 14 minutes, 36 seconds at the NFL scouting combine on Thursday.
Here are 6 quick takeaways from his talk:
1. He was non-committal about the team bringing back defensive end Osi Umenyiora.
2. The team was comfortable with letting Asante Samuel because of the strong play of rookies Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant.
3. He was pleased with how Steven Jackson finished the season, but noted the poor stats and how the offensive line must improve.
4. Peter Konz will get a chance to compete for the starting center spot [More]
- 2:00 pm Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
In his new position as a television analyst, former Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez will have to develop well-thought out positions on league issues.
CBS has him slated to start out on three shows.
“It will give him a lot of reps, which I think is important for somebody who’s new to the broadcasting world,” CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We have a lot of shows we are involved with at CBS including ‘Inside the NFL’ for Showtime and ‘That Other Pregame Show.’ I think that will be good for him and it will be good for us. [More]
- 10:00 am Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
Former Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he wanted to clear the air with Falcons fans about a recent magazine article that suggested he somehow disrespected Matt Ryan.
“There was no firestorm,” Gonzalez said. “They pulled quotes from that article a couple of days before it came out, so now you’re not getting the whole story. ESPN was biased about it and so was the NFL Network. I saw the ticker where it said, ‘Tony calls out his former quarterback’ or whatever. Which is ridiculous.”
Gonzalez and Ryan often dined after games in Buckhead. Their families are close [More]
- 6:00 am Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter
Former Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he felt the Falcons would rebound from their last-place finish in 2014.
After winning his first playoff game and reaching the NFC championship game, he returned to play one more season in 2013, but the Falcons finished 4-12.
“This year’s team, it was just a matter or injuries,” said Gonzalez after talking about his new CBS Sports gig. “I said it during the season. When you lose Julio Jones that’s a huge part of your offense. When he got hurt, he was the best receiver in the league statistically. Then with Roddy [More]
- 8:14 am Friday, January 24th, 2014 by D. Orlando Ledbetter